Author Newsletter Resources
The Big Question...
"I have a list of email subscribers. WHAT do I send them?"
- 4 weekly lessons on branding and creating your Author Newsletter
- Option of 2 Tracks - Fiction or Non-Fiction
- Downloadable PDF worksheets for each lesson
- Weekly email feedback on assignments
- Practical steps to create the right content for your newsletter
- Small class size allows for personalized attention and feedback
- Example links to demonstrate concepts at work in author newsletters
If it was easy, every author would have a winning newsletter. Unfortunately, many author newsletters are __________________.
A) Too boring
B) Too much promotion
C) Too wordy
D) Just. Not. Good.
Maybe, deep down, you know you're not quite hitting the mark either.
If you secretly cringe every time you hit the "send" button, read on.
Here's Your Pep Talk...You Can Do This!
There are plenty of great books, blogs, and podcasts on how to (and why to) create your author newsletter. These resources have some fantastic information to help you piece together a smart marketing strategy that includes building an email subscriber list. (I've heard it, you've heard it..."It's all about The List!")
These books and resources inspire us with stunning success stories and equip us with solid strategies. But once we take this amazing new knowledge and turn it in the direction of our own newsletter, we're often left with The Big Question hanging over us, overwhelmed with possibilities and technology and how to keep up with the latest trends.
If you find yourself asking The Big Question (a.k.a. WHAT do I send to my email list?), you've come to the right place. With over fifteen years in marketing and design experience, and drawing on my work with professional authors, I have developed this very targeted course with you, the Writer, in mind. And I've intentionally called this course (and website) NewsletterCraft.
Because the writing life is a life spent developing and improving one's craft. As writers, this doesn't deter us or dismay us, this constant attention to craft. It thrills us. We are creators. We are craftsmen. We learn, explore, and delight to put our skills to the test.
So why do we writers freak out when it comes to writing a newsletter? After all, it IS writing.
Yes, it is marketing too. And a bit of self-promotion. And there's the technology side of things that can be intimidating. Especially at first.
But, dear Writer, at it's most basic level, your newsletter content comes down to words on the page. And you, Writer, can rock this.
If you don't know your way around your email marketing service dashboard, or if you aren't skilled at Photoshop, when it comes to nailing your newsletter those things are helpful but not necessary. Not if you get the words right.
And if anyone can succeed at moving an audience with words, it's you.
Words are your tools. You know how to use them.
So, again, why is it so hard to get a newsletter right?
Maybe you've just been looking at this the wrong way.
Maybe, just maybe, once you clearly define yourself, your work, and your reader, you'll actually look forward to putting this newsletter thing together.
I bet you will.
I won't be surprised.
Because I've seen it happen. And I'd love to see it happen for you.
Here's How it Works...
- This is an email correspondence course with direct feedback on weekly assignments.
- Once you enroll, you'll receive an orientation email with a few questions to get us started.
- After that, you'll receive an email once a week for 4 weeks. Each email contains a lesson along with Action Steps.
- Course includes one 30-minute "coaching" call to help you define your target reader and create content they'll value and look forward to receiving.
* Phone call is optional but I hope you'll take advantage of this course tool! We'll schedule the call after completing the 3rd assignment, so we'll have a lot of content to discuss. And hopefully you'll have some good questions we can work through together!
Ready to Rock Your Newsletter?
A What-To for Author Newsletters
When it came to creating a personal newsletter that represented my brand and my writing, I was a blank slate. Heather Duff’s class— “A What-To for Author Newsletters”— showed me exactly why I need a newsletter, and who I am as a writer. Through her worksheets and action steps, I identified hidden themes in my life, and in the stories I tell.
I highly recommend “A What-To for Author Newsletters.” Whether you plan to send out a newsletter or not, you’ll walk away knowing more about the writer you are.
I am so grateful I found Heather. She's been rocking my newsletter for three years now and it's pennies well spent. A month never goes by that I don't get kudos on my newsletter and it's all painless.
Take it from a newsletter newbie, Heather is a true treasure! She helped me craft a newsletter that reflected my vision and my brand to perfection. Her down to earth humor and practical tips made an intimidating process a pleasure. I can't possibly underline it enough--no matter what newsletter questions you may have--Heather's the answer!
Heather Duff's experience includes:
- Web Design - HTML, CSS, WordPress, Joomla, Adobe Business Catalyst
- Graphic Design - Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop
- Email Marketing
- Print Newsletters
- Print Magazine (Designed, wrote, and edited 12-page magazine)
- Social Media - Content creation and strategy
- Advertising - Postcards, billboards, business cards, flyers, brochures, newspaper ad layouts
- Marketing campaigns